Thursday, January 8, 2009

Area Golf Courses-Barren River State Park

Well, I am back at it again. This would be the second entry in my blog that I would like to update daily with random info. Today, I have a topic that is in regard to the local golf courses in Glasgow, KY.

Now if you are a crazed maniac golfer as I am then you will understand exactly what I am talking about. Here's a brief overview of the Glasgow golf course scene. We have three courses that are within a few minutes drive (two public, one private). Now let me break down my thoughts on each. I will be breaking these courses down in separate blogs and then move onto other areas of the state.

Barren River State Park- This is probably the best track in the city. It is a public course that has been revamped and is rather difficult. A few years back the state invested in a majority of the golf courses within their park system and Barren River got a little of that cash to make some improvements. Unfortunately, they didn't receive enough funds to make any life altering changes. Now let's look at the course:

Clubhouse- Nothing fancy here. The pro shop offers some logo apparel, but the apparel is a little outdated. They do have your normal fare. Golf balls selection is average, but overpriced. The staff is always friendly and helpful.

Tees- The tee boxes are always in great shape. The tees here are definitely the longest in the city. There are some holes that are monsters from the very back tees and the narrow fairways make you think about your shot thoroughly as their is a lot of risk involved at times.

Fairways- You will rarely find a straight, flat fairway on this course. The layout is challenging. The fairways tilt and turn in every which way. This can be a good thing at times or a very punishing thing as well. The grooming of the fairways are excellent. They are mowed nicely and rarely do you find dead spots. The lies are not tight on the fairway that you find at some courses.

Greens- Always in great shape. I have been there only once when the greens were in a rough shape and that was due to a ground hornet infestation. This was a few years back and they promptly eliminated the issue at hand. The greens have a decent amount of break and a majority of the time they are kept at a fast pace. The greens are also guarded by bunkers, but I do think the course could use a few more.

Challenging Holes- #11 is a long par five that bends back and forth and it is very narrow. This hole also involves a large amount elevation change near the green. #16 is a dogleg right that will surprise you. I really don't think I have ever seen a decent score on this hole. This hole requires a short tee shot out into the middle of the fairway as the trees on the right prevent any cut off the corner. After the tee shot you will need everything you have of a 3-wood to clear the water and get anywhere near the green. This hole basically forces you to layup. I definitely have this hole on my list of most hated holes that I have played.

Overall- The cost is average. Last time I played it was around $32 which is cheap for most people. The course is challenging, but it does provide nice vies of the lake during the summer. If you are a solid ball striker then this course wont be as challenging as it would to the person who struggles off the tee.

OK so my next review will be Fox Hollow Golf Course hopefully either later today or early tomorrow.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment