Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Economy and Golf

Well, as we all know the economy is at the worst point we have seen it in a while. I know our new President says we will get out of this, but in my daily job I have seen the new Housing and Recovery act and I don't think rewarding people who don't make their payments a $5,000 principal reduction on their mortgage over 5 years if they can make a payment under a modification is fair to those of us who make our payments, but that is another story.

Sad thing is we are beginning to see the true effects of the economical downturn in golf. Today, I read an article discussing the liquidation of Macgregor's product. We all knew the time was coming for Macgregor with the departure of Bobby Grace and the CEO of the company. Macgregor has struggled to keep up with the big dog OEM's over the past few years and it has now caught up with them. The real question is what OEM's could be next? Well, here's a few I think we could see out of the game sometime throughout the year:

1. Nickent Golf-While I love their clubs, they just don't have the market share to keep up with other OEM's. I own a Nickent driver and it is just as good as any other driver I have used, but when people see Taylor Made, Callaway, Nike or any of the other OEM's you pull away from Nickent and it is a company you don't see at every shop.

2. Tour Edge-A smaller company that has decent equipment, but like Nickent it isn't seen in every store. The other issue I have with Tour Edge is the Exotics line and the other line of Tour Edge equipment are so distant in comparison. I think the Exotics equipment is over priced. I am not saying it isn't good, but you can get something just as good for a cheaper price. The rest of their equipment....well, if you like hybrid wedges then this is your company. I just can't see them selling much this year.

3. Wilson Staff-I don't know if they will go under, but their offerings are nothing near the competition. The prices are very reasonable, but the irons are the only thing that have gotten good reviews. The drivers and fairways are not top of the line. The lack of multiple tour players using the equipment will hurt as well. I think we could see this company dwindle throughout the year.

The other problem at hand with the economy is the withdraw of sponsors from PGA Tour events. A perfect example is FBR. You may remember that just a mere few weeks ago the FBR Open was on TV and the crowds were as raucous as usual, but news today says that FBR has pulled out as sponsor for the event.

I can only imagine with the banks and other financial institutions that sponsor PGA Tour events that this will become a common thing in sports news. I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more sponsors pull their sponsorship of events. How will this effect the game? Who knows. We currently haven't been able to project what would happen with the market so I won't even speculate how this will effect the tour.

It is definitely not a great time in our world, but remember it could always be worse. Only time will help our current situation and I think it will take more time than most people expect. I just feel that our country is pining on rewarding people for irresponsible. Until we do the exact opposite we are in for a rough time.

On a more positive note, Tiger will return to action tomorrow when he tees off at 2:02 PM EST. Good luck Tiger. I expect some big things from him this year. I know it is good for the game!

Hit 'em straight!

No comments:

Post a Comment